Use Ranch-Style Sauce with Huevos Rancheros.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Light beef broth or water
- Heat olive oil, then add chiles and onion; cook until they begin to soften, but do not allow them to brown.
- Add remaining ingredients except for water or broth and cook, stirring frequently, for 1/2 hour over very low heat.
- Add just enough broth or water to make the sauce a little soupy and continue cooking an additional 10 minutes. The sauce should be thick enough to coat a spoon without immediately running off, so add more liquid or cook a while longer, as necessary.
Yield: enough to serve 4 with chips or with a meal