Six Shooter Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella or Cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Brown ground beef and ground pork sausage with onions and garlic in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and smoked sausage chunks. Continue cooking for 5-10 minutes, then reduce heat to low and drain fat.
- Blend in spices and tomatoes. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in kidney beans.
- In a bowl, blend a little reserved bean liquid with cornmeal to consistency of
pancake batter. Mix with chili and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into serving bowls and top generously with shredded cheese.
Nutrition information per serving: 530 calories; 30 grams protein; 32 grams
carbohydrates; 10 grams fiber; 90 milligrams cholesterol; 1650 milligrams sodium