Caponata is best the next day.
- 1 baby eggplant
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tomato, diced (about one cup)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 2-3 ripe olives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Trim and peel eggplant, then cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.
Salt slices and put on a plate between 2 paper towels. Weight down, and let stand 1-2 hours.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Combine all ingredients in crockette.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve with crostini or crackers.