Apricot Nut Bread
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Place the apricots on a chopping block.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour over them.
- Dip a knife into the flour and chop the apricots finely.
- Flour the knife often to keep the cut up fruit from sticking together.
- Sift the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar into a large bowl.
- Combine the milk, egg, orange peel, and oil. Stir the flour mixture and the whole wheat flour.
- Fold in the cut up apricots, any flour left on the cutting block and the walnuts.
- Pour into a well greased, floured baking unit or 2-pound coffee can.
- Cover and place on a rack in the slow cooker, but prop the lid open a fraction with a wooden pick or a twist of foil to let excess steam escape. Do not lift the lid while baking this bread.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings