Turtle Monkey Bread
We're not monkeying around — you actually make this monkey bread in your slow cooker!
You can substitute 1/4 cup hot fudge topping, heated, for the chocolate drizzle.
Slow cookers vary. Keep an eye on your bread while it's baking so it does not get overdone. If your cooker has a removable ceramic container, turn the container halfway around about halfway through cooking time for more even browning.
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (16.3 ounce) can Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- Spray 4 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, mix brown sugar and butter; microwave uncovered on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until mixture is boiling and smooth.
- In large resealable food-storage plastic bag, place granulated sugar.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits; cut each into fourths. Add a few of the biscuit pieces at a time to bag; shake to coat.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the pecans in slow cooker; top with half of the biscuit mixture.
- Pour one-third of the butter mixture over biscuits in cooker.
- Repeat with 1/4 cup pecans and remaining biscuit mixture.
- Pour remaining butter mixture over biscuits, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans.
- Cover; cook on HIGH heat setting for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until knife inserted in center comes out clean and biscuits are no longer doughy in center. Tops of biscuits will be moist and may appear unbaked.
- Turn off cooker.
- Carefully remove cover so condensation does not drip onto bread. Cover opening with paper towels; return cover to cooker.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of cooker; turn bread upside down onto heatproof serving plate.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat cream over medium heat just to boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Drizzle over monkey bread.
- Serve warm.
Prep Time: 20 min | Total time: 2 hr 15 min | Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving Calories340 ( Calories from Fat180), Total Fat20g (Saturated Fat9g, Trans Fat0g ), Cholesterol25mg Sodium450mg Total Carbohydrate37g (Dietary Fiber1g Sugars19g ), Protein3g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A6%; Vitamin C0%; Calcium2%; Iron6%
Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 4 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: