- 1 1/2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon grease
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- In a skillet, brown meat in hot oil or bacon grease.
- Layer carrots, potatoes, onion and browned meat in slow cooker.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and spices.
- Pour broth and the 1 cup water over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Half an hour before serving, remove bay leaves and add mixture of
cornstarch and the 1/3 cup water to thicken.
- Turn to HIGH and cook for 30 minutes.