Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 6 pounds cooked chicken
- 40 ounces converted rice
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons margarine or vegetable oil
- 6 ounces
- 3 ounces onion, chopped
- 8 ounces celery, chopped
pound mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 quarts milk
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoons white pepper
- 6 ounces almonds, slivered
- 3 ounces pimiento, chopped
- 9 ounces bread crumbs
- 3 ounces margarine,
- 6 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Dice chicken.
- Cook rice according to directions.
- Sauté onion, celery and mushrooms in 6 ounces margarine. Add flour to vegetables
and stir to blend.
- Add milk and stock, stirring constantly with wire whip. Cook until thickened.
Add pepper. Add salt if needed.
- Add almonds, pimento and chicken to sauce. Combine carefully. Divide evenly between
two lightly greased 12 x 20 x 2-inch baking pans, 10 pound 8 ounces per pan.
- Combine bread crumbs, 3 ounces margarine and cheese. Sprinkle over mixture in
pans, 9 ounces per pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees
- Just before serving, sprinkle chopped parsley over baked casserole, if
Makes 50 servings.
Sliced water chestnuts may be substituted for almonds. 18-20 pounds of
chicken will yield approximately 6 pounds cooked meat.