Chicken 'n' Rice Delight
Chicken and Rice
- 9 cups uncooked rice
- 17 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken (chopped chicken meat is available frozen in bags)
- 3 cups broth
- 2 batches Creamy Chicken Gravy
Creamy Chicken Gravy
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Chicken and Rice: To cook rice, bring water to boil (around a tablespoon each
of margarine and salt may be added). Stir in rice. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes in covered
kettle, stirring occasionally. Drain rice.
- Combine rice and gravy in electric roaster. If preparing a day ahead, this mixture
may be partly cooled before adding meat. Stir in chopped meat and add broth as needed.
Heat slowly, stir away from sides. Add broth if mixture becomes too thick. When
cooking turkey or chicken, season generously with poultry seasoning.
- Creamy Chicken Gravy: Melt butter; remove from heat. Stir in flour. Slowly stir
in broth and milk. Cook over low heat. Cook 2 batches.
Serves 70 people.
Fills one electric roaster.
Cook's tip: Cook, chop and freeze fowl ahead of time. Use the broth later
in the casserole and gravy.