Corned Beef and Ale
- Serve with boiled potatoes and baby carrots.
- 24 pounds corned beef
- 4 quarts brown ale or any dark beer
- 5 quarts water
- 4 ounces Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 50 medium potatoes
- 50 carrots, peeled
- 50 cabbage wedges, core included
- Place corned beef in a large pot. Add ale, water, soup mix, sugar, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Cover , reduce heat and simmer. Remove meat from pot, cover with
foil and keep warm.
- Strain cooking liquid and return to pot. Bring to a boil, add potatoes, carrots
and cabbage, and return to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables
are tender. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- To serve, slice meat across the grain in thin slices, reheat in cooking liquid
and serve with vegetables.
For a stronger ale taste, ladle a small amount of cooking liquid over beef
and vegetables when serving.