This is a favorite recipe from the Maine Department of Marine Resources.
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg white, beaten stiff
- 24 clams, cleaned
- Combine beaten egg yolk and half the milk. Add butter.
- Add salt to flour, sift together and beat into egg-milk mixture until
- Add rest of milk, then fold in stiffly beaten egg white.
- Drain clams.
- Dip each clam into batter and fry in deep fat (375 degrees F) until
golden brown, turning frequently.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve with ketchup.
Makes 4 servings.