Liqueur Pound Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups butter (at room temperature) DO NOT USE MARGARINE
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups Soft As Silk cake flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups Amaretto (rum, almond, hazelnut or orange-flavored liqueur)
- Pound Cake: In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter
until creamy. Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar to butter,
beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time,
beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract. Gradually mix
cake flour into creamed mixture.
- Prepare 4 loaf pans, each about 3 1/2 by 7 inches. Butter each
loaf pan, then dust lightly with flour. Scrape batter mixture evenly
into pans. Smooth the top surfaces. Bake at 300 degrees F for
50 minutes, until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool on a rack
for 5 minutes.
- Turn cake out and immediately return cake to pan. With a
slender wooden skewer, wooden pick or fork, poke 1 inch deep
holes, about 1/2 inch apart, all over the top of cakes. Immediately
pour an equal amount of syrup over each cake. It will soak in. Let
cool on rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve, or wrap securely and store in a
cool area. Can store for up to 1 month in the refrigerator or 6 months
in the freezer. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Liqueur Syrup: In a 2- or 3-quart saucepan, combine sugar, light
corn syrup and water. Over medium heat stir slowly until mixture
simmers. Continue heating without stirring until mixture boils. Cover
and boil for 1 minute until sugar dissolves and liquid is clear. If you
don't cover the pan and if you stir while the syrup boils, crunchy sugar
crystals will form in the finished cake. Remove from heat and uncover.
Let stand to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the liqueur. Ready to pour into pound cakes or can store
(can even be frozen!).
Yield: 3 1/2 cups syrup