Old Fashioned Date and Nut Cakes
- 6 (10 3/4 ounce) empty soup cans, cleaned and dried
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 level tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Generously grease and flour empty soup cans and set aside.
- Place dates in a medium, heat-proof bowl.
- Combine baking soda and boiling water and pour over dates. Set aside to cool, about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg on high speed until pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and continue beating for 1 minute. Add cooled date mixture.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to date-egg mixture and beat until well-incorporated.
- Stir in walnuts by hand.
- Divide dough among the 6 prepared cans, filling them half full.
- Place cans in a preheated 325 degrees F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Remove from oven and cool in cans on wire rack.
Yield: 6 cakes