Rum Butter Cashews
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup rum
- 2 cups whole, unsalted cashews
- 2 ounces butter
- Generously oil a baking sheet and set aside.
- Bring the sugar and rum to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook for 3 minutes, until candy thermometer reads 234 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and add the cashews, stirring constantly to coat with syrup. The sugar will become white and grainy after about 30 seconds.
- Return saucepan to heat and re-melt sugar, adding a few drops of water if needed. Watch carefully, do not burn. When the syrup has turned a rich caramel color, about 2 minutes, and the nuts sound hollow at the tap of a spoon, remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Transfer mixture to oiled baking sheet, spreading out in one layer, separating any pieces that are stuck together.
- Cool completely.
- Store airtight for 2 weeks.
Yield: 2 cups