Mexican Bean Soup Mix in a Jar
- 3/4 cup each dried pinto and red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup small-cut pasta
- Beans: Put beans into a 1-quart jar with lid.
- Flavor Packet: Put ingredients into a sandwich-size plastic bag. Seal bag
with tie or ribbon.
- Do the same with the rice and pasta. Place in jar with beans.
- Type or print the recipe neatly on a small card, punch a hole in the corner, and attach with a ribbon to the jar.
Mexican Bean Soup
Rinse and pick over beans. Put into a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit 1 hour.
Drain beans and return to pot. Add 8 cups water and contents of flavor packet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans are firm-tender (time will vary depending on age of beans). Stir in rice and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Uncover, stir in pasta and 1/2 cup water. Simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.