Pasta Fagiola Soup Mix in a Jar
- 3/4 cup dried great northern beans
- 3/4 cup pinto beans
- 3/4 cup red beans
- 1/4 cup dried chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/4 cups small pasta (shells, bowties or ditalini)
- Layer ingredients in a 1 quart jar. If you'd like you can rinse
all the dried beans first, and look for any shriveled ones. Dry
on paper towels overnight and combine with the spices.
- You can package
the pasta separately, in a zip-top or cloth bag, and add to the
jar. You can put the bay leaf on top if you'd like, or just
place it down the side of the jar, and pour in the other ingredients.
- Attach the following recipe on a gift tag.
Pasta Fagiola Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 pound ham, chopped
2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
4 cups chicken stock or water
In a large pot, sauté carrot, celery, and ham in olive oil. Add
tomatoes, chicken stock or water and bean mix. Bring to a boil.
Cover partially, reduce heat and simmer 2-3 hours until beans are
tender. Pasta may be added now. Cook about 5-7 minutes or until
pasta is al dente. You may even want to cook pasta separately, place
in the bottom of the bowl and then spoon hot soup over the pasta.
Garnish with shredded parmesan cheese.