Jalapeno-Chile Cheese Crock
- 1 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons (optional) to cover finished
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapeno chiles, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Place Cheddar cheese in a medium microwave-safe mixing bowl. Add
cream cheese and the 1/2 cup butter. Microwave on MEDIUM-LOW (30
percent power) until cheeses are softened but not melted (1 to 3
minutes), stirring twice. Do not allow cheeses to melt; stirring
will distribute heat and help to soften cheeses without melting
- Place softened cheese mixture in work bowl of food processor. Add
onion, jalapeno chile and paprika. Process cheese mixture until
evenly blended. Scoop mixture into decorative crock, cover, and
store in refrigerator.
Cheese will keep refrigerated up to 2 weeks. For longer storage
(up to 2 months), microwave the 1 to 2 tablespoons butter in a small
microwave-safe measure for 30 to 60 seconds. Pour melted butter
over cheese in crock, covering top of cheese completely to seal.
Cover and refrigerate.