Steak-Stuffed Portobello with
Creamy Poblano Sauce
Seasoned grilled steak is combined with mozzarella cheese, stuffed into a portobello mushroom, then covered with a creamy poblano chile pepper sauce.
- 2 beef Flat Iron Steaks (about 8 ounces each)
- 2 fresh poblano chile peppers
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems discarded
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- Place poblano peppers and onion slices on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 15 to 20 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill) or until onion is tender and pepper skins are blackened, turning occasionally.
- Place peppers in food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Set peppers and onion aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat each mushroom cap with cooking spray and place on aluminum foil-lined shallow-rimmed baking pan.
- Bake mushrooms in 350 degrees F oven for 15 to 17 minutes or until mushrooms are fork tender.
- Remove and discard skins, stems and seeds from peppers. Chop peppers and onion.
- Heat oil in small sauce pan over medium heat. Add poblanos peppers, onion and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Season steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145 degrees F) to medium (160 degrees F) doneness.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Carve steaks into 1-inch strips. Cut strips into 1-inch cubes.
- Combine steak and cheese in medium bowl, mixing gently but thoroughly. Evenly divide beef mixture among prepared mushroom caps, mounding as needed.
- Bake mushrooms in 400 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, place poblano mixture in blender container; add 1/4 cup cilantro, lime juice, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cover; process until smooth.
- Divide sauce evenly among 4 plates; top sauce with steak-stuffed mushroom. Garnish with avocado slices and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 370 calories; 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 99 mg cholesterol; 694 mg sodium; 10 g carbohydrate; 2.8 g fiber; 30 g protein; 7.1 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 5.1 mcg vitamin B12; 3.3 mg iron; 48.6 mcg selenium; 8.2 mg zinc; 113.1 mg choline
Recipe and photograph used with permission from
the Texas Beef Council.
>> Beef Steak Recipes