Crispy Marshmallow Ghosts
Ghosts can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 6 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg white
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Ghosts: In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in marshmallows until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Scrape into large bowl; stir in cereal until coated.
- Set bowl over saucepan of boiling water. Using rubber gloves, shape cereal mixture into 4-inch long ghost shapes.
- Let stand for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Spread with Pallor Icing; let stand for about 30 minutes or until set.
- In top of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate; pipe onto ghosts to make faces.
- Pallor Icing: In top of double boiler over boiling water, combine sugar, water, egg white, cream of tartar and salt. With electric mixer, beat at high speed for 7 minutes or until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Fold in vanilla extract.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until thickened.
- Decorate the ghosts by drawing faces with chocolate, or use candies and licorice strings.