Scalloped Ham, Potatoes and Leeks
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 large leek (white and light green part), washed well and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 4 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces ham, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange 1/3 of potatoes in a greased 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with a third each of leeks, red peppers, then 1-1/2 tablespoons flour.
- Add a layer of half the ham.
- Add half of remaining potatoes, salt and pepper, leeks and red pepper.
- Top with remaining ham and 1-1/2 tablespoons flour.
- Top with final layer of potatoes, sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons flour, remaining
leeks, red, pepper, and salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour milk over all.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 30-35 minutes more, or until potatoes are tender and liquid
is reduced to desired consistency.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.