Try this Broccoli-Cheese Soup topped with popcorn - a delightful meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola or soybean oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups original-flavored soymilk or fat-free (skim) milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 3 cups bite-size fresh or frozen (thawed) broccoli florets
- 1 cup popped reduced-fat popcorn, if desired
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in onion, flour and salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until onion is soft.
- In small bowl, stir soymilk and cornstarch with wire whisk until smooth. Gradually stir into onion mixture. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted. Stir in broccoli. Cook about 1 minute or until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Serve topped with popcorn.
Prep: 25 min | Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 50), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 760mg; Total Carbohydrate 11g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 6g), Protein 11g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 40%; Iron 6%
Exchanges: 1/2 Skim Milk; 1 Vegetable
Carbohydrate Choices: 1
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.