Try a heart-smart sweet treat that will appeal to your taste buds.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product or 8 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or sliced strawberries
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat 1/2 cup of the sugar in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently with wooden spoon, until sugar is melted and a light caramel color (mixture will be very hot and could melt a plastic spoon).
- Immediately pour sugar mixture into round pan, 8 x 1 1/2 inches; tilt pan to coat bottom. Place on wire rack to cool.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar, milk, egg product, salt and vanilla extract in large bowl. Pour mixture over sugar mixture in pan.
- Place in rectangular pan, 13 x 9 x 2 inches. Pour very hot water into rectangular pan to within 1/2 inch of top of round pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove round pan from pan of water. Cover; refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 3 hours or overnight.
- To unmold, run knife around edge of custard to loosen; invert onto serving platter. Top with fruit.
Prep: 30 min | Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition Information:1 Serving Calories 150 (Calories from Fat 0), Total Fat 0g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 160mg; (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 31g), Protein 5g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 8%; Iron 4%
Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Very Lean Meat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.