Amish Onion Patties
These patties which taste like homemade onion rings are excellent served with fresh garden vegetables such as corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes!
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a heavy skillet, pour oil to a depth of about 1/4 inch, then heat over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Stir in the milk. (The batter should be fairly thick). Add the onions and mix thoroughly.
- Drop the batter by tablespoonsful into the hot oil; cook until lightly browned on the first side, then turn to brown on the other side, flattening slightly with the back of the spatula when you turn them.
- Place fried patties on several layers of paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot.
Adapted from Amish-Country Cookbook, edited by Bob and Sue Miller, 1979 by LuAnn B., a.k.a. "Tofu Queen."