Calabacitas con Queso
(Zucchini with Cheese)
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, unpeeled, then cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 pound white Cheddar cheese, finely diced
- In a saucepan, combine the zucchini, water, salt and pepper; bring to boiling over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 2 minutes. Set aside without draining.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat until hot but not quite smoking, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the onion and garlic then sauté until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato, then cook for about 5 minutes or until the liquid is partly evaporated. Stir in the corn and poblanos, then continue cooking for 5 more minutes. Add the zucchini and evaporated milk to corn mixture; bring to boiling over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and stir in the diced cheese, cooking just until the cheese melts.
- Spoon into bowls and serve. If desired, garnish bowls with a sprig of fresh cilantro.
Adapted from Family Circle magazine, May 16, 1995 (Originally published in Food from My Heart by Zarela Martinez); posted by LuAnn B., a.k.a. "Tofu Queen."