LuAnn's Zucchini and Corn Casserole
A cousin to the old "Impossible Pies," this simple casserole is suitable for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Although delicious "as is," it can be dressed up a bit with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of finely chopped green onions and/or served with tomato-based salsa. (I especially like one with just a hint of sweetness, such as Trader Joe’s Peach Salsa).
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (or a combination of red and green bell peppers); for the brave hearts, substitute 1 or 2 chopped jalapeno peppers*
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon adobo seasoning (or salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about one 6 to 7-inch zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided use
* If using a jalapeno pepper, wear gloves while preparing the pepper and
avoid touching your face until the gloves are removed.
- Dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of finely chopped green onions and/or
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 1 1/2 to 2-quart shallow glass baking dish generously with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, frozen corn and bell pepper, then cover and sauté while preparing the remaining ingredients, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cottage cheese, adobo seasoning, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper, then whisk in the baking mix (a few lumps can remain). Stir in the zucchini, sauteed vegetables, cilantro and half of the shredded cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
- If desired, garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a light sprinkling of finely chopped green onions or serve with tomato-based salsa.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe by LuAnn Bermeo, author of Amazing Meals I and II, a two-volume collection of family-approved, plant-based recipes.