Rock Salt Beef
- 1 (5 pound) beef tenderloin roast (or other tender cut of meat)
- Herb seasonings
of your choice
- Coarse salt
- Rub meat with herbs and seasonings of your choice, such as minced garlic
or garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, basil, etc.
- Cover bottom of Dutch oven with 1/4 inch salt. Place roast on top of salt
and completely cover with salt. Cover with a lid. Place hot coals underneath
and on top of Dutch oven or bake in a 350 degree F oven to desired internal
temperature - see below. Remove coals or remove Dutch oven from oven when internal
temperature of the meat is 5 degrees lower than desired temperature.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes in rock salt before carving.
- To carve, remove salt (it may need to be cracked with a hammer), scrape
off excess crystals, carve, and enjoy a very juicy and tender roast.
Rare - 145 degrees F, 16 to 19 minutes per pound
Medium - 155-160 degrees
F, 20 to 23 minutes per pound
Well Done 165-170 degrees F, 25 to 30 minutes per