Stuffed Roast Goose
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large tart apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 6 cups toasted fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup currants or chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 (7 to 8 pound) goose, giblets removed
- In a small saucepan, combine the onion, apple and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until onion and apple are tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine onion mixture, bread crumbs, currants, almonds, parsley, sage, salt and pepper.
- Toss 1/3 cup broth with bread crumb mixture.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse goose; drain and pat dry. Prick the skin on the lower breast, legs and around the wings with a skewer. Stuff and truss goose. Place goose, breast-side-up, on a rack in large roasting pan. Insert a roasting thermometer in its thigh without touching bone. Spoon remaining stuffing into a lightly greased 1 1/2-quart casserole; cover and refrigerate.
- Roast goose for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the thermometer registers 175 degrees F, draining fat often.
- Bake the covered casserole of stuffing alongside the goose during the last 30 minutes of roasting.
- Let the goose stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Carve goose; discard the skin.
Yield: 6 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.