Basque Barbecue Leg of Lamb
- 1 (6 to 7 pound) leg of lamb or 1 whole lamb
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large lemons, juiced
- The day before serving, mix all marinade ingredients. Place in a pint jar
and shake well.
- Remove excess fat from lamb without breaking the parchment-like fell, leaving
a little fat in order to enhance flavor. Using a small brush, spread surface
of meat well with marinade.
- Place lamb in a large pan, cover, refrigerate overnight or for 24 hours.
Baste occasionally with marinade.
- The following day, remove meat from refrigerator at least 40 minutes before
cooking time, in order to bring to room temperature.
- Heat coals. Either lay leg of lamb on grill or place on a spit. Turn meat
over every 15 minutes. Cook to desired doneness.
- Transfer meat to a pan and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. (Resting
meat makes it firm and easier to carve.) Total cooking: approximately 2
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Serve with Chenin Blanc wine.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.