Grilled Portobello Loaf with Basil Hummus
Toasted bread envelops mushrooms and protein-packed hummus in this unique vegetarian sandwich.
4 large Portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean
with damp cloth
3 tablespoons canola oil 45 mL
3 tablespoons cider vinegar 45
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil 60 mL
teaspoons Dijon mustard 10 mL
1/4 teaspoon dried pepper flakes 1 mL
1/2 can (15 oz/426 mL) no-salt-added navy beans,
rinsed and drained
1 ounce (1/4 cup/60 mL) chopped pine nuts, toasted 30 g
1 tablespoon water 15
12 ounces whole grain or multigrain Italian loaf bread,
halved lengthwise 350 g
canola oil cooking spray
2 medium tomatoes (8 oz/250
g total), thinly sliced
3 cups baby spinach 750 mL
1/2 cup thinly sliced
red onions 125 mL
- Place mushrooms on dinner plate.
- In blender, combine canola oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, mustard and
pepper flakes. Secure with lid and pureé until smooth.
- Brush both sides of mushrooms with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of pureéd
mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add beans, pine nuts and water in blender to remaining pureéd
mixture in blender. Secure with lid and purée until smooth and set aside.
- Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving 1/2-inch-thick shell;
reserve torn bread (4 oz/125 g) for another use.
- Coat grill pan or grill rack with cooking spray, place over medium high
heat until hot. Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Place mushrooms on separate plate.
- Coat both sides of bread halves with cooking spray and cook 1 minute on
each side or until beginning to lightly brown. (Be careful not to burn bread
- Place bread on cutting board.
- On bottom half of loaf, arrange mushrooms, overlapping slightly.
- Top with tomatoes, baby spinach and onions.
- Spread puréed mixture evenly on cut side of remaining top half and place
on top of all.
- Cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces.
Yield: 4 servings (1 loaf)
Serving size: 1/4 slice of loaf
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 490 Total Fat 19 g Saturated
Fat 2 g Cholesterol 0 mg Carbohydrates 64 g Fiber 9 g Protein 15 g Sodium 600 mg
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.