Blue Plate Meatloaf
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound ground beef (chuck recommended)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or veal
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices hickory-smoked bacon (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in the buttermilk until absorbed,
about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the soaked bread crumbs, beef, sausage,
turkey or veal, onion, parsley and egg. Gently mix together with
your hands. Add the pepper and salt and mix again.
- Turn the mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet and shape it into a
loaf about 9 x 13 inches. If using the bacon, lay the strips across
the loaf lengthwise.
- Bake, basting occasionally with the pan juices,
until the meatloaf is lightly browned and firm and an instant-read
thermometer inserted into its center registers 160 degrees, 45-55
- Let the meatloaf sit for about 10 minutes to re-absorb
- Using a serrated knife, cut the loaf into 1 1/2-inch thick slices.
Transfer to individual plates and serve.
Serves 4 to 6.
Nutrition values per serving (assumes six): 283 calories (55
percent from fat), 17.3 g fat (6.1 g saturated fat), 3.4 g carbohydrates,
trace of fiber, 25.7 g protein, 128 mg cholesterol, 440 mg sodium
Source: The Best American Recipes 2002/2003
>> MEAT LOAF RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.