Possum and Taters
- 1 opossum, cut into serving pieces
- Water to cover
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 baking size sweet potatoes, pared and quartered
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, chopped
- Skin and dress opossum. Put into Dutch oven and cover with water. Add salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until very tender.
- Place opossum pieces in center of large baking pan and arrange sweet potatoes around them. Sprinkle sugar and butter over potatoes. Pour 2 cups of broth from cooked opossum over all.
- Place in preheated 375 degrees F oven and bake until potatoes are fork tender, slightly browned, and broth has evaporated.