Mrs. Fields Coconut Mud Bars
- Bottom Layer
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, slightly softened and cut into small pieces
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Bottom Layer: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt
and brown sugar. With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients
until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Press the mixture into the bottom of the
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the crust is just set. Place the pan
on a rack to cool, but leave the oven on. Meanwhile, make the Ganache.
- Ganache: Place the chocolate in a medium bowl.
- In a small pan, bring the cream to a simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate;
let stand for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Pour the ganache over the crust
and refrigerate for about 15 minutes to set the ganache.
- Topping: In a medium bowl, cream the butter. Add the sugar, vanilla
extract and coconut extract, if desired, and beat until blended. Beat in the eggs.
Stir in the coconut and pecans. Drop the coconut pecan topping evenly over the ganache
and spread gently.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Cut into bars.
Yield: 24 bars