- Cookie Dough
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup bitter cocoa powder
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound plus 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Cookie Dough: Blend all ingredients together until the dough can be shaped into
a smooth ball. Let it stand 20 minutes, loosely covered.
- Form dough into marble-size balls. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet.
Flatten each with smooth bottom of a drinking glass greased once and dipped into
Nestles' Quick Powder (or use sweetened chocolate drink powder). Bake at 400
degrees F for 8 minutes. Remove cookies at once from baking sheet, to paper toweling
and immediately flatten each cookie with back of pancake turner. Let cool 20 minutes.
- Fill with Cookie Filling mixture.
- Cookie Filling: Soften gelatine in cold water. Place in heatproof cup in pan
of hot water until gelatine is transparent.
- Meanwhile beat Crisco until fluffy, adding vanilla extract and sugar a little
at a time. Beat in gelatine mixture when it is completely cooled, but not yet "set"
- When cooled, shape filling into 1-inch balls. Place between the two bottom sides
of the cooled cookies, pressing gently until filling has spread to edge of cookies
and rounded out like the originals.
Yields: 48 servings