- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Any flavor jam, preserves, or fruit butter
- 1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- Sugar for sprinkling on top
- Cream together sugar and Crisco, beating until light. Beat in eggs until creamy,
then stir in flour and baking powder to make soft dough. Divide dough evenly into
16 parts. Roll each part into a flattened ball and set aside on a plate. Wrap plate
in plastic wrap and refrigerate two hours. Grease cookie sheet and set aside.
- Roll 1 ball dough into a rectangle about 1/16-inch thick. Spread 1 heaping teaspoon
of filling evenly over dough leaving a generous margin. Roll out another ball into
similar shape and lay it neatly over the first.
- Using sharp knife, trim the tart to approximately 3 1/2 x 5 inches and crimp
edge with fingertips or tines of fork. Place tart on cookie sheet and prick top
- Optional: Lightly beat egg white with milk. Brush tops of tarts and sprinkle
with sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes, just until edges are browned. Prick again
during first 10 minutes of baking to help keep them flat.
- Cool, wrap and store at room temperature or refrigerator.
- Tarts may also be iced.
>> NAME BRAND RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.