Banana Hazelnut Empanadas
- 1 large, ripe banana, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 2 refrigerated 9-inch pie crusts or favorite from-scratch pie dough (enough for two 9-inch pie crusts)
- 2 tablespoons water (for brushing)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Cinnamon ice cream or whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- In small bowl, mix banana and Nutella until combined (it will thicken and become stiff). Set aside.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out each half to a 14 x 8-inch rectangle, 1/4-inch thick. Using square or round 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out 8 pieces per half. Place 1 heaping teaspoon Nutella-banana mixture on each dough cutout. Brush outer perimeter with water and fold dough to make a closed pocket. Pinch edges together with fork. Brush with water and sprinkle with sugar.
- Freeze on parchment paper or foil-lined baking sheets for at least 15 minutes. (The empanadas can be made up to this point and frozen for 3 months.)
- Bake empanadas until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with cinnamon ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Servings: 16; serving size: 2 pieces
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.