Firecracker Icebox Cake
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (16 ounce) frozen pound
- 1 envelope gelatine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup non-fat
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries such as strawberries, blackberries and
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray inside of 9-inch round springform cake pan with nonstick cooking spray
and line sides with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- In medium bowl, whisk together Nutella and 1/4 cup water until smooth, creating
rich Nutella syrup. Set aside.
- Cut 15 width-wise slices (1/2-inch each) of pound cake with serrated knife and
use 10 slices to line pan's inside edge, pressing sides to form overlapping
pattern. Place remaining 5 slices on bottom to fill pan's base, cutting pieces
as necessary to fill holes. Drizzle cake bottom with 1/4 cup Nutella mixture.
- In large bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add sour cream and 1/2
cup Nutella mixture and continue to beat until mixture once again holds soft peaks.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable dish, place 2 tablespoons water and sprinkle
with gelatine. Let stand for 1 minute. Microwave on HIGH for 20 to 30 seconds to
soften gelatin. Stir until gelatine completely melts.
- Whisk melted gelatine into Nutella-cream mixture until completely blended to
create mousse-like texture.
- Layer bottom of cake with 1 cup mixed berries. Spread mousse over berries. Remove
cake from pan and place on serving dish. Drizzle with remaining Nutella syrup. Make
decorative pattern on cake with remaining 1 cup berries.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour
Serving ideas: Using remaining 1 cup of berries, lay strawberries in concentric-circle
pattern with pointed end of each strawberry facing outward. Fill center with remaining
berries. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.