- 1 1/4 cups hazelnuts (about 6 1/4 ounces)
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
- 3 ounces fine-quality milk chocolate
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan, knocking
out excess flour.
- Toast and skin hazelnuts (procedure this page). In a food processor pulse hazelnuts
until coarsely ground (bits should be about 1/8 inch).
- Chop chocolates into small pieces and in a double boiler or a metal bowl set
over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolates with butter and Nutella,
stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat.
- While chocolates are melting, into a bowl sift together flour, baking powder,
and a pinch salt. Whisk sugar into chocolate mixture until combined well. Add eggs,
whisking until mixture is glossy and smooth. Stir in flour mixture and hazelnuts
until just combined.
- Pour batter into baking pan and bake in middle of oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until
a tester comes out with moist crumbs adhering to it.
- Cool brownies completely in
pan on a rack and cut into 16 squares.
Makes 16 brownies.
Brownies keep, layered between sheets of
wax paper in an airtight container at cool room temperature, 5 days.
Source: Gourmet - February 1998