Nutella Christmas Log
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger root, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Orange Cream Filling
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a jellyroll pan with aluminum foil, then
grease and flour the foil, tapping out the excess flour.
- Ginger Cake: In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and potato starch.
Stir in the gingers and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, using a hand-held mixer, whip the eggs on medium speed
for 2 minutes. Add the sugars; increase mixer speed to high speed and beat for 5
minutes longer or until the mixture has tripled in volume. Gently fold in the flour
mixture in 3 batches until fully incorporated. Pour into the prepared pan and spread
the batter evenly with a spatula. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the surface
springs back lightly when touched.
- Remove the cake from the oven and dust the surface lightly with confectioners'
sugar. Lay a kitchen towel or a large piece of parchment over the cake and cover
with a cooling rack. Carefully invert the cake onto the rack and gently remove the
pan and the foil. Starting with the long end, roll the cake up in the towel and
allow it to cool completely.
- Orange Cream Filling: In a 4-quart heavy bottomed saucepan, bring the milk,
orange zest and sugar just to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cornstarch. Slowly add the
yolk mixture to milk, whisking constantly. While continuing to whisk, return the
pan to a medium high heat, and boil for 2 minutes. Pour the hot pastry cream into
a heatproof glass bowl and stir in the butter. Cover the surface with plastic wrap
and refrigerate until completely cooled, about 1 hour.
- Chocolate Frosting: Beat the butter and honey together using a hand-held
mixer. Add the Nutella and bittersweet chocolate; whip until completely smooth.
- Assemble the cake: Gently unroll the cake from the towel, trim 1/4 inch off the
sides with a serrated knife or kitchen scissors and spread the surface with the
orange cream. Re-roll the cake. Cut off a piece on the bias 2 inches from one end
of the cake. Spread the rest of the roll with 3/4 of the frosting. Place the extra
piece, flat side down, on top of the cake and cover with remaining frosting, so
it resembles a log with a broken branch. Chill for 30 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with chocolate curls, chopped toasted hazelnuts, and dust with
Yield: 12 servings
Sprinkle the final product all over with chocolate shavings for that "just
out of the woods" look.
Add ginger spice and orange to Nutella and you have a formula destined to be
a holiday classic.