Nutella Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup toasted pecans, finely ground*
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, using electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until
almost white in color (about 3 to 4 minutes). Add Nutella and mix on low speed to
incorporate. Stir in flour and pecans, mixing just to blend. (Do not over mi.)
- Roll 1 tablespoon dough in hands, forming a small football-like shape. Place
on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spreading each dough shape
at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cookies
cool for about 5 minutes.
- Put confectioners' sugar in baking pan or on large plate. While cookies are
still warm, roll in sugar. (Sugar will begin to melt slightly and form sweet coating.)
Place cookies on wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once completely cooled, store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
To save time, make, shape and freeze dough in advance. After making dough rounds,
freeze on tray for 15 minutes. Transfer into resealable bag and place back in freezer,
taking dough out to defrost and bake as needed.
* To toast the pecans: Heat oven to 325 degrees
F. Spread pecans on baking sheet and toast for 5 to 10 minutes, or until "toasting"
aroma emanates from oven. Allow nuts to cool completely before handling. Place pecans
in food processor fitted with metal blade and pulse until finely ground. Set aside.