Nutella Truffle Cups
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup
confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Nutella nonstick cooking spray
- To make Nutella Truffle Cups: Line 2 mini-size muffin pans (12 count each)
with mini baking cup paper liners, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put sandwich cookies in food processor fitted with metal blade. Pulse until
finely ground, about 30 seconds (yields 1 cup crumbs). Alternatively, place
cookies in resealable bag and crush to fine powder with rolling pin. Sprinkle
each cupcake liner with 1/2 tablespoon cookie crumbs, gently pressing against
cup sides with spoon to slightly adhere.
- Nutty truffle paste: Wipe out food processor and fill with cashews and 1/4
cup confectioners' sugar. Pulse until finely ground (about 30 to 45 seconds).
Scrape down food processor sides with rubber spatula; add 4 tablespoons butter
and puree to smooth paste (about 15 to 30 seconds). Set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt remaining 8 tablespoons butter with remaining
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons water, whisking until smooth.
Remove pan from heat and carefully whisk in Nutella to fully incorporate. Fill
each paper cup 1/3 full with Nutella mixture. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon cashew paste
on top, pressing down slightly to immerse into Nutella mixture. Cover tops completely
with remaining Nutella mixture.
- Chill in refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled.
For an extra special touch, sprinkle each truffle cup's top with chopped
cashews or 1/2 heart-shaped strawberry.
Alternatives: For a different flavor combination, follow above directions, using
one of the following instead of the nutty truffle paste:
Mint truffles: In medium microwaveable bowl, microwave on
high 4 tablespoons butter and 4 tablespoons water for 1 minute or until completely
melted. Stir in 2 cups confectioners' sugar and 1/4 teaspoon mint extract to
make paste. Substitute 1/2 tablespoon mint paste for 1/2 tablespoon cashew paste
in each truffle.
Raspberry truffles: In medium bowl, lightly toss together
2 tablespoons raspberry jam and 1/2 pint fresh raspberries, avoiding crushing raspberries.
Substitute one jam-coated raspberry for 1/2 tablespoon cashew paste in each truffle.