Spiced Nutella Hotcakes
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup Nutella, water, cinnamon and cayenne pepper
until completely blended (the mixture will become very stiff). Scoop 1 rounded teaspoon
Nutella mixture and shape into ball about 1 inch in diameter.
- Repeat to create 12
balls. Place on plate in freezer while making cake batter (about 15 minutes).
- Lightly grease and flour 1 standard size 12-piece muffin tin.
- Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 1 cup
Nutella until smooth.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar until frothy (about 1 minute).
Add Nutella-butter mixture and continue whisking to blend. Fold in flour.
- Pour batter into muffin tins. Remove chocolate-cinnamon balls from freezer and
place one in each cup, pressing slightly to fully submerge. Use spoon to cover balls
with surrounding batter if necessary. Bake for 15 minutes. (The cakes will be soft
in center when done.) Allow to cool 10 to 15 minutes before handling.
- Carefully remove cakes with knife or small metal spatula. Serve warm.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar and whipped cream or scoop of vanilla ice
Alternative: To save time, make cakes 1 day
in advance and reheat in microwave for 15 to 20 seconds each before serving.