Norwegian Candied Nuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups shelled nuts, toasted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 stiffly beaten egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Melt butter in the oven in a 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add salt and gradually add sugar. Beat again until stiff again.
- Add vanilla extract and nuts. Blend until well mixed.
- Pour nuts and meringue mixture into pan with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 8 minutes. Nuts should be golden brown, with
no butter remaining in pan.