All-American Celebration Cake
Source: The Pampered Chef
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced (12 ounces)
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries (about 1 cup)
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into un-greased
rectangular dish, spreading evenly. Bake on center rack in oven 35-40 minutes
or until top is golden brown and the cracks feel dry and not sticky. (Cake should
be firm to the touch; do not underbake.) Carefully turn dish upside down onto
cooling rack; cool completely. (Do not remove cake from baker.)
- Zest whole lemon. Juice lemon to measure 2 tablespoons juice. Whisk lemon
juice, zest and powdered sugar in bowl until smooth.
- Slice strawberries. Add strawberries, blueberries and raspberries to sugar
mixture; mix gently to coat fruit.
- Using a large fork, poke holes in cake about 1 1/2 inches deep and 1/2 inch
apart. Spoon fruit mixture over cake to within 1/2 inch of edges. Refrigerate
at least 2 hours to allow juices to soak into cake.
- Just before serving, use a decorator; fill with whipped topping and pipe
stars evenly around edge of cake.
- To serve, cut into squares. Garnish each serving with additional whipped
topping and mint leaves, if desired.
Yield: 15 servings
(Low Fat) Nutrients per serving: Calories 190, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat
3 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 37 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 220 mg, Fiber 1 g