Banana Nut Coffee Cake
Celebrate Passover with a delicious cake made with matzo meal.
- 6 tablespoons matzo cake meal*
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 small)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
In small bowl, stir cake meal, potato starch and nutmeg until well mixed; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until soft
peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup of the sugar until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
- In another small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly. Gradually beat in remaining
1/4 cup sugar on medium speed about 5 minutes or until mixture is thick, lemon-colored
and forms a ribbon when beaters are lifted. Stir in bananas, oil and lemon peel.
- Fold banana mixture into beaten egg whites.
- Sift half of cake meal mixture over batter; gently fold in.
- Sift and fold in remaining cake meal mixture. Fold
in walnuts. Spoon batter into sprayed pan, smoothing top.
- Bake for 25 to 27 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean. Loosen from sides of pan with metal spatula; turn out onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
- To serve, cut into wedges; sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Prep: 20 min | Total: 50 min | Yield: 6 servings
* If matzo cake meal is unavailable, process matzo meal in food processor bowl
with metal blade until very fine.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) No change.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 80); Total
Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 70mg; Sodium 30mg; Total
Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 20g); Protein 4g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Betty Crocker - © 2010 ®/TM General Mills
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.