Passover Fruit Crisp
Dried fruits, red wine, spices, nuts and matzo meal are the signatures that create
a classic dessert.
- 2 bags (8 ounces each) dried mixed fruit*
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup red wine or water
- 2/3 cup matzo cake meal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- Sweetened whipped cream, if desired
* Any dried fruit can be substituted for the mixed fruit.
- In medium saucepan, heat fruit, 2/3 cup sugar, the cinnamon sticks, water and wine to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender. Remove cinnamon sticks; discard.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- N medium bowl, stir cake meal, 1/3 cup sugar, the almonds, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg until well mixed. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Pour hot fruit mixture into ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until topping is light golden brown. Cool slightly; top with whipped cream.
Prep: 25 min | Total: 45 min | Yield: 8 servings
Variation: Enjoy dessert for breakfast by layering this yummy fruit crisp with low-fat vanilla yogurt in a parfait glass.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 370 (Calories from Fat 60); Total
Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 45mg; Total Carbohydrate
73g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 52g); Protein 3g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1 Fruit; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1
Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 5
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Betty Crocker - © 2010 ®/TM General Mills
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.