Crockpot Frito Pie
This cross between a taco salad and chili dip will deliver a cook-once-eat-twice meal or a convenient potluck dish for the backyard picnic crowd.
Try this recipe in tacos, burritos, and enchiladas or as a taco salad.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 pounds lean meat*
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup dry beans (or 15 ounce can pinto beans)
- 4 cups water (reduce to 1 1/2 to 2 cups if using canned beans)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) package corn chips
- 3 cups shredded Monterey jack and Cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 16 ounces salsa
- 16 ounces sour cream
- Sliced olives
* Meat may be ground, stew meat or a roast. Try using beef, pork, lamb or
even game. If using a roast, cut the meat into 3-4 chunks. This will allow for easier
- Combine chopped onion, beef, garlic, beans, water, salt and taco seasoning in
slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 to 10 hours.
- Before serving, shred meat by pulling apart with two forks and mix with juices.
- Serve on a bed of chips.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa, a
dollop of sour cream and sliced olives.
Recipe serves 10 to 12.
If using this recipe as a cook-once-eat-twice, divide meat into convenient
meal portions and refrigerate or freeze for up to 3-4 months. When ready to use,
heat in microwave.
Source: Presented by Becky Low on June 23, 2003
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.