Ground Cherry Pie
Ground cherries, also known as husk tomatoes, produce tiny tomato-like fruits
in papery husks on low, lanky bushes. This is an old Mennonite recipe with a crumb
- 2 1/2 cups pitted ground cherries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash ground cherries and place in unbaked pie shell.
- Mix brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour and sprinkle over cherries. Sprinkle water
- Mix together the 3 tablespoons flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut butter in until
crumbly. Top cherry mixture with crumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue to
bake for 25 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.