Moravian Hearts (Love Cakes)
These iced cookies can be used on any festive occasion: simply draw liturgical symbols for the corresponding feast day on them.
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup warm molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 7/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon each baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves and cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each nutmeg and allspice
- Mix butter, molasses and sugar.
- Add sifted dry ingredients.
- Roll very thin. Cut with large heart shape cutter.
- Bake in 375 degree F oven for six minutes.
- Ice with almond flavored confectioners' frosting.
Source: Holy Housewifery Cookbook by Ethel Marbach, Abbey Press, Saint Meinrad, Indiana, 1968
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.