Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage Rolls
- 12 large green cabbage leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- Pour boiling water over cabbage leaves and soak until limp, about 4 minutes.
- Combine beef, rice, onion, salt, and egg and mix well. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions and place one portion on each leaf. Roll up, tuck ends in and fasten with wooden picks.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet or Dutch oven and brown the cabbage rolls for 10 minutes.
- Combine tomato sauce, water, brown sugar and lemon juice and add to skillet. Simmer cabbage rolls for 1 hour, covered.
- Serve hot.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.