Pennsylvania Dutch Cake and Custard Pie
- 1 (15 ounce) package Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crusts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger,1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon allspice combined
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour milk, or add 1 teaspoon lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk and letstand for 5 minutes
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose or unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons coffee
- Prepare pie crust according to package directions for "filled one-crust
pie," using 9-inch pie pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. (Refrigerate remaining
crust for a later use.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons
flour and apple pie spice; mix well.
- Stir in remaining filling ingredients; blend well. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and margarine; beat until well blended.
- Add sour milk, 1 egg and vanilla extract; beat until smooth.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder,
salt and baking soda; mix well.
- Spoon into crust-lined pan.
- Carefully pour filling mixture over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes or until center springs back
when touched lightly and top is deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl combine glaze ingredients; blend well. Drizzle
over hot pie.
- Serve slightly warm.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Source: Pillsbury winner - Gladys Fulton, Summerville, South Carolina
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.