- 1 cup vegetable shortening or butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk soured with 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup hot coffee or water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 pound butter
- Batter: Cream shortening and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in the eggs,
one at a time. In another bowl, sift the flour with the cocoa, salt, and baking
soda. Gradually add this to the creamed mixture alternating with the buttermilk.
- Mix in the hot coffee or water.
- Drop the batter in teaspoonsful onto greased cookie
sheets, spacing them about 3 inches apart.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove to wax paper until all the cookies have been baked.
- Filling: Beat the egg whites until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the vanilla extract, milk, sugar and flour.
- Add the shortening and butter and beat until very fluffy.
- Take one cookie and place a generous tablespoon of filling on the flat side.
- Top with another cookie; they should look like yo-yos.
Yield: about 48 to 60 Whoopie Pies
These freeze well if wrapped individually.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.